Monday, June 10, 2019

AECP, Color Your Day

Hello friends!  I've completed another class in the Altenew Academy towards my Level 2 certification!  The class is Color Your Day and the lessons discuss how to add color to your projects in various ways.  Ideas such as using photos for inspiration, your color wheel, and different mediums were just a few of the great ideas.



I decided to challenge myself and work on my no-line coloring.  I pulled out a not yet used set called Frilled Petals.  I stamped the lined flower onto masking paper twice and fussy cut them out.  Then, using my MISTI, I stamped the first flower with some very light ink.  I placed the mask onto it and stamped the bottom left flower.  I added a mask to it and stamped the third flower.  To stamp the leaves I left the masks in place and stamped a couple leaves and moved one of the masks for the next one.

So, this is where I have to say that twice I almost abandoned and trashed this after I colored the purple flower.  I had colored maybe five or six petals and thought it looked awful!  So I pushed the project aside and did something else.  I came back to it the next day thinking, "well if I'm just going to toss it, I may as well just practice."  Funny thing is is that the more I worked on it, the more I liked it.  I also remembered I could use my colored pencils to add in shading in the darkest areas.  That just makes all the difference!  I have those listed below too.



When I was finished coloring the flowers and leaves, I knew I wanted to add just a bit of a shadow around them to give the look of dimension.  After all that work, I was a bit nervous.  So what I did was swatch out the Copics I used onto some scratch paper and try out a few different shades until I was brave enough to proceed!  Haha!

For the sentiment I used the Birthday Builder set and stamped it with black ink.  I cut a flag at one end and layered it with the same purple paper I used for my colored panel.  I added a few Nuvo Glitter Drops in Lilac Crystal for a bit of sparkle.



I'm happy with how this turned out.  While I know I have plenty of room to improve my no-line coloring, I did learn and won't be quite so hesitant to try again!  Thank you so much for stopping by!


Copic markers:
V01, V12, V15, V17
Y11, Y13, Y15, Y19
YG03, YG17, YG25, YG67

Prismacolor Pencils:
Goldenrod, Dioxazine Purple Hue, Olive Green, Dark, Green

Supplies:

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Look at that beauty! Gorgeous card there Carol. Love the colours and the faux dimension. The yellow really pops!
    Thank you for entering your gorgeous work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you didn't give up, Carol, because your masking and coloring of these flowers looks flawless to me!! It's the kind of card that makes one gasp when it rolls onto the screen! I rarely think to add that shadow around my colored image and when I do, I'm too nervous that I will ruin the image after all my hard work. Thank you for the encouragement by example. I do see how much depth it adds to make the colors pop even more!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for using my product links to shop. Some of the product links I've provided may have what is called an "affiliate" link. By using my links to purchase products, I may earn a bit of a commission, at absolutely no additional cost for you. Thank you for supporting my blog.