Monday, May 6, 2019

AECP, Beyond Basic Backgrounds

Hi friends!  I have two cards inspired by Altenew Academy's Beyond Basic Background class.  This is one of the required classes working toward my Level 2 certification.

I actually took this class when it originally was offered and completed three cards that are in the gallery and on my blog post HERE.  This go round, I went for a technique I couldn't do in Lesson #4 called Matt Watercolor Resist.  This technique uses a laminator and I now have a Minc Mini and really had a lot of fun with this.


I die cut a mask from freezer paper using the Cover Die A from Altenew's Layered Medallions A set.  By folding the letter size paper in half, you get two die cuts.  After placing the mask onto watercolor paper, I ran it through my Minc Mini on setting 5.  Here is a tip for you that I learned:  After you have painted over the masked panel, let it air dry!  I thought I'd speed up the drying process on the pink card and used my heat tool to dry the paint.  Well, that actually made it quite a struggle to remove the mask.  In the lesson, Lydia Evans shows us how she used her heat tool to warm up the freezer paper mask to remove it.  Even using the heat tool on the pink card, it was very hard to get off.  However, I let the blue panel air dry, and it was super easy to get off!

The sentiment is from the Floral Shadows stamp set.  I layered it and the die cuts onto vellum die cut from an oval die.

  

The panels for both cards were watercolored in the same manner using Altenew's Watercolor 36 Pan Set create the ombre wash over the background.  For the first card above I used just one color--Mountain Mist.  I put a puddle of the color on my glass mat and I added a drop or two of Ken Oliver Craft's Liquid Metals in Platinum.  I've had this product for a few months and hadn't used it.  I have to say that it added a beautiful shine to the paints.  Here are some process photos that I took when painting the pink panel.  Click on the photo if you'd like to see it larger.

  

  

I used one stamp from the Floral Shadows Stamp Set to watercolor the piece you see on the blue card above. I ended up not using this pink one, but both were done the same way.  Since I still had some paint mixed with the Liquid Metals on my mat, I used my brush to dab it onto the stamp.  I used my MISTI so I could stamp multiple times onto the watercolor paper.  Once I was satisfied and it was dry, I used the coordinating die to cut it out.



For this card I used Puffy Heart and Pink Diamond paints from the set.  I cut a diagonal strip in the panel and popped the pieces up with foam tape.  The sentiment is from the Birthday Builder stamp set.   I added some pink sequins and a drop of White Blizzard Nuvo Glitter Drops to the center of the sequin.


2 comments:

  1. What an excellent write-up, Carol! You masked designs with watercolor are fabulous! I love that you share your trials and both results are awesome! Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards look absolutely fantastic Carol! You did a fabulous job! Loved reading the details.
    I am so glad that you entered your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Thank you for sharing your creative process! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for using my product links to shop. Some of the product links I've provided may have what is called an "affiliate" link. By using my links to purchase products, I may earn a bit of a commission, at absolutely no additional cost for you. Thank you for supporting my blog.