Saturday, November 20, 2021

Winter Reindeer Holiday Card

 Happy weekend crafty friends!  I'm back today with another holiday card created with Graciellie Designs beautiful new digital set called Winter Reindeer.  This includes two reindeer and some absolutely gorgeous digital papers to print!

This deer was an absolute delight to color and practice some serious marker techniques!  I'll list my Copic colors at the end of this post.  Take a look at these awesome images that are included in the bundle! Click the image if you'd like to check it out.

Since my previous post using Gracie's digital set, I've learned a much easier way to resize the images!  It's so simple I can't believe I didn't think of this before!  I used Microsoft's Word and just inserted the .jpg image.  Then you just click on the dimensions and type in the size you want!  I kept the sizing locked to maintain the perspective.  If you are unsure, just print it on regular printer paper to check the size.  As I did before, I printed the background digital paper on matte photo paper.

Another thing I tried this time is using my Cricut to cut the image out.  (I have an Explore Air 2.)  My poor Cricut was still packed up in the box from our recent move, but she survived!  LOL!  I did have to rearrange my limited table tops to set her up.  Then I uploaded the .jpg image into Design Space and saved it as a "print and cut" file.  If you aren't familiar with this procedure, there are lots of videos on YouTube by Cricut, and many others.

I had no idea if my Cricut would cut out the intricate details around the deers antlers.  But I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did!  There were maybe three or four tiny spots that I had to use my craft knife to finish up the cut.  A side note:  I have a new printer and did have to go through the calibration process in Design Space to get the cuts more precise.  My printer is an Epson XP-7100 ink jet printer with a rear feed which is perfect for the 80# Neenah card stock.  Be sure to leave on the "bleed" feature when sending it to print.

After cutting the background paper to 4" x 5-¼' I wrapped some twine around it and secured the twine with tape.  I added some foam tape to the back and popped it up on a top-folding A2 card base.  I trimmed the sentiment and added some thin foam strips to the back of it and the deer.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help!  Be sure to use the "contact me" form on the left side of my blog so I will see your question.  Thank you so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderful weekend!!

Here are the Copic colors I used:  (I did use a Prismacolor pencil-1082-chocolate brown, to add just a touch more detail)

  • deer fur: E59, E57, E23, E21, E50
  • antlers:  E49, E47, E77, E44
  • leaves: G28, YG17, YG25
  • berries:  R39, R37, R35

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic image and beautiful coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol I am so interested in learning about these digital stamp sets. Thanks for sharing this info and wish me success! What a lovely face this deer has, I just love it! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful coloring and, WOW, am I amazed that the PnC feature worked on all those intricates pieces of horn & holly! Thanks for the tutorial, maybe one day I'll get back to trying to figure out my machine... Love the options of the digital print backgrounds

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for using my product links to shop. Some of the product links I've provided may have what is called an "affiliate" link. By using my links to purchase products, I may earn a bit of a commission, at absolutely no additional cost for you. Thank you for supporting my blog.